Migraines are among the most common conditions experienced by people worldwide. Though this is often a genetic condition, it often affects somebody at one point in their lives, due to the vast amount of causes. Typically, these extreme headaches are more common among women.
- Immense pain in the face, head, and neck
- Severe throbbing pain
- Visual disturbance, called aura, and light and sound sensitivity
- Irritability, nausea, and congestion
- Scalp tenderness
- Episodes lasting from several hours to days
Some may experience severe migraines that involve all of the above symptoms, while others may not.
- Hormonal changes
- Lifestyle triggers, such as stress and change in sleep patterns
- Alcohol consumption
- Changes in environment
- Certain medications
Migraine treatment must be tailored to each individual. During the patient evaluation, the medical provider will gather detailed information about the history and nature of the migraine episodes as well as information about lifestyle, activity level, medication use, diet, and sleep patterns, etc. Treatments can include a variety of interventions including manual therapy, diet or lifestyle modification, therapeutic exercise or other strategies.